I’m a consumer of varied digicam techniques. For those who’re on the Phoblographer’s evaluations staff, you then’re certain to be a model agnostic. You need to use just about any digicam and digicam system that’s thrown at you. And over time, I’ve seen cults of digicam followers develop into a really ugly a part of pictures. For anybody that’s shot for years, this isn’t something new. However the tradition round digicam followers and loyalties are terrible, divisive issues that get in the way in which of creating higher photos and having a extra sustainable picture business.
Let me make just a few statements which can be certain to anger a ton of various digicam followers.
- I’m an lively Sony digicam consumer, typically. However I don’t wish to be related to the frat-boy cult of digicam followers which can be the Sony digicam customers. And I severely simply want that Sony digicam customers didn’t feed into all of the stereotypes and jargon that the business has pressured down their throats. Why is it that you could by no means clarify what makes their cameras so good for you? It’s simply peer stress?
- I’m an lively Canon digicam consumer, typically. However I want their digicam followers realized that no, they don’t do all the pieces completely. A crimson ring round your lens isn’t all the pieces.
- I’m not an lively Nikon digicam consumer. And I want that, nicely, I actually don’t know many Nikon Z digicam customers. However the DSLR digicam followers usually blindly swear by the merchandise.
- I’m an lively Leica digicam consumer. And I want that Leica understood higher that the majority of its followers aren’t celebrities and soccer stars. Most of their followers really apprecaite ergonomics and tactile issues.
- I’m an lively OM system consumer. And I want that digicam followers understood extra about what makes this sytem so unbelievable as an alternative of sitting there set in their very own methods.
- I’m not an lively Panasonic digicam consumer, however I personal just a few of their lenses. And I want that folk understood that their cameras are for extra than simply video.
- I’m not an lively Pentax consumer. And let’s simply cease there.
- I’m an lively Fujifilm digicam consumer. And I want that photographers understood that the purpose of the system isn’t to take a seat there in post-production all day and evening. It’s to truly get out and shoot.
So what’s the issue right here? Properly, the digicam followers are the worst issues about cameras. And numerous the time it doesn’t make a complete lot of sense. Many of those digicam producers use the identical parts and share objects with each other. However they’ll backstab one another in public whereas greasing every others palms in non-public. What number of instances have you ever seen a Sony sensor in a digicam? Or what about when an OM System tech finds itself in one other digicam in a roundabout way or one other? Have you ever ever puzzled how expertise improves after which spreads to the opposite digicam producers when there are such a lot of patents defending mental property?
On the finish of the day, they’re all roughly the identical cameras on the market with tweaks to at least one factor or one other. However but digicam followers sit there and pound their chests for an nearly Nationalist stage of tradition.
So what will we do about this?
Simply go take photos. Cease attempting to convey everybody into your cult when there are methods that we will all shoot in each comparable and other ways. As an alternative, focus extra on creating as an alternative of attempting to justify to your self why you’re shopping for a digicam.